Hello once more ladies and gents! After a brief surgery-and-OMFG-GATECH-WHY-YOU-GIVE-ME-SO-MUCH-WORK hiatus I am officially back and in action. To kick things off I’ve further updated my portfolio, this time around putting up a few videos that I’ve played a part in shooting / editing / producing over the past few years. So, without further ado, I give you…
Breakfast of Champions
The first video of the three is entitled “Breakfast of Champions” and is the product of the final project for a video production class I took during my undergraduate stay at Georgia Tech. We messed around a bunch in front of green screens and then thought it would be a good idea to illustrate the potential hazards of eating moldy food that has been sitting in the back of your refrigerator for far too long
The second video is yet another product of a class I took at Georgia Tech, this time around being Digital Video Special Effects. My team and I were fans of the movie “A Scanner Darkly,” a movie which has a somewhat interesting plot line with a much more interesting visual style. As I understand it, the idea behind Scanner Darkly was to shoot the film in its entirety and then develop an algorithm to produce the vectorized style that makes the movie so unique (as those of you that have seen the movie are likely aware of). It turns out that once the movie was shot, developing the algorithm was non-trivial. Not being ones to be intimidated by a challenge, my team set out on developing our own approach to the Scanner Darkly algorithm, and this video was produced to demonstrate our finalized product. While we by no means faithfully recreated Scanner Darkly’s style, I would say we made good progress in the short amount of time we spent on it. It should be noted, though, that supposedly the most difficult part of algorithmically producing Scanner Darkly’s effect was in frame-to-frame continuity, an issue which is clearly highlighted by our version.
My third and final offering is, once again, a product of a Georgia Tech course. Our assignment was to produce a machinima video depicting a dystopian environment, and as such we thought it only appropriate to reproduce the story of Noah’s Ark with a flood of man-made trash instead of water. We created the models, rigged them, imported them in to Unreal Tournament 3, scripted the many events seen in the video, recorded footage with FRAPS, and edited and produced the final video in Adobe Premiere.
And that’s it for now, folks! Keep checking back for the next update in the “Guts of a Dynamic Web Site” series, and I’ll hopefully be starting to discuss security topics as I learn them here as well. Until next time!